Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

-Proverbs 3:5-6




Monday, March 28, 2011

We Have 10 Embryos Agrowing!

First of all, I want to thank you all so much for the wonderful comments about our retrieval! It's so great to have your support. It means a lot to us.

I got a call from the Embryologist this morning that out of our 16 eggs, 12 of them were mature and 10 fertilized normally with ICSI. We are pretty happy with that number!! Now we just need all of them to continue growing properly and we will be ecstatic.

So now for the details of the retrieval. We arrived at the hospital at 7:15am and were immediately taken back to our room. The nurse got my IV going and started some fluids through to make sure I was good and hydrated. My IVF nurse and the doctor came in to talk with us briefly. Even though the nurses were great at the IVF center, it was nice to see some familiar faces. Then the anethesiologist came and and went over how that will work. Between all of the people coming in and out, we really only sat and waited about 20 minutes. They wheeled my bed back to the procedure room and I walked over to the procedure table and got in place. They had me position my arms across my stomach and that is the last thing I remember. Those were some powerful drugs! Next thing I remember, I was back in my room and much to Jared's sadness I wasn't talking too crazy. The nurse told me they got 16 eggs and asked how I was feeling. I was a little crampy so she gave me a heating pad to put on my stomach and gave me some Demerol for the pain. I had to eat a snack and use the bathroom before they let me go. Our procedure was scheduled for 8:45 and I was getting ready to leave by 10:00.

I felt fine after we got home but then the pain set in. My entire stomach from under my rib cage to down below my ovaries has basically been one giant cramp from that point on. Also for some reason, I have had a fairly sharp pain in my left shoulder. I'm not sure if it was from sleeping in an awkward position or if when they moved me back to my bed that my neck was strained a little. Anyway, that made it very uncomfortable to lay down yesterday evening. I've been taking extra strength Tylenol and I think I'm finally starting to feel a little better. Oh and one of the side effects of the medicine they gave me to prevent OHSS is dizziness so I've kind of been fighting a little of that but nothing terrible, just annoying. Last night my stomach was so bloated that I seriously looked about 4 months pregnant. Sadly, I couldn't quit looking at it hoping that I will look like that 4 months from now :-)

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the great numbers!!!!

    I have never gone through IVF, but I have read a lot of bloggers that have and shoulder pain after retrival is normal, for some reason, the air they put in your stomach to make it easier to get to your ovaries will travel to your shoulder and cause pain. I hope that helps, I always like to know why something feels wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the 10 little ones growing and dividing! That's wonderful!! Now rest rest rest....let me know if I can answer any questions...you know where to find me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! Grow babies grow!!!!

    After my retrieval I was talking crazy and don't remember a thing. But my husband thought it would be funny to video me in that hazy state. I still laugh when I watch it.....

    ReplyDelete