Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

-Proverbs 3:5-6




Thursday, March 17, 2011

1st Night of Stims Recap aka "Freak Out #1"

Ok so last night I did my first stim shots. We did Lupron first since we have been doing that for a week now. Easy. Then we did the Follistim which we had done in a previous IUI cycle. Just before taking the Follistim I started getting a little overwhelmed for some reason. I think it was just seeing all of the medicine that I was taking. I had Jared move the injection site over a little from the last shot and I guess we went a little too far over cause there was a little bleeding afterward. Now I'm getting even more nervous. Plus I'm sure it didn't help that I had only gotten 4 hours of sleep the night before.

So after the Follistim and Lupron we start getting the Menopur ready. I had heard from other girls that Menopur stings and my IVF nurse even wrote it on my calendar as a warning. As Jared gets ready to do the shot, I start to freak out. I tell him I think it would be easiest if I did it myself. That way if it hurt he wouldn't feel bad for being the one who did it. As I'm talking to him and holding the shot in my hand, I break down crying and shaking. I'm not sure why I am losing it and I don't like it. I tend to think that I am a strong woman who can handle a lot when I have to and this did not seem like me. After a few attempts from Jared to make me laugh, I calmed down enough to try to do the shot. I stink the needle into my stomach with the same amount of pressure as the Lupron shot but it doesn't go in! Now I should have known that since this needle is bigger than the Lupron needle, I will have to use more pressure but at that time I guess my brain wasn't processing that. Thank goodness Jared was there to be my voice of reason and explain that to me! So now I poke myself for the second time and finally get the needle through. After all of that freaking out, the medicine didn't even sting at all. Go figure!! I should have probably gotten an award for that drama queen moment :-)

I'm hoping this will be a one time "freak out" but I'm thinking there is a possibility for more of these emotional breakdowns in the future as I'm taking more and more drugs. I am very lucky to have such an understanding husband who is completely unfazed by all the needles.

1 comment:

  1. It's great that your husband can help you with the injections and being there to support you. Don't feel bad about having a minor freakout... it happens! xx

    ReplyDelete