Yesterday was quite the eventful day in "The Journey to Baby Belgard" :-) First was our ultrasound and bloodwork at the RE's office. Everything looked good and I have no cysts so I was cleared to start my Lupron injections last night. While there, I asked if they checked my blood platelets when they took a ton of vials in February. Turns out they did and it was 2 days before my first OB/GYN appointment. At the RE just two days earlier they were 184! How did they spontaneously drop to 134 two days later?
So yesterday afternoon was my appt with the Hematologist. After waiting for over 45 minutes past my scheduled appt time, they finally called me back. On a happy note, I lost two pounds since I was last weighed at the OB/GYN!! Yay me! Anyway, the doctor proceeds to ask me all types of questions to which every one of my answers were "no, I've never had that" or "no, I'm not experiencing that." She mentioned that at this point she's not overly concerned as the normal range is 150-450 and I'm only at 125 according to the OB/GYN. However, she did want me to get another blood draw to check my level that day. She sent me to the main hospital lab after mentioning that another doctor in my OB/GYN's office has commented about the machine in their lab reading platelets low on a lot of people. Hmmm, interesting! So I go have my blood redrawn and the Hematologist calls me back about an hour later to say that my platelets are 165! Totally normal!! Thank goodness there is not really a concern but it sounds to me like the OB/GYN clinic needs to get a different machine. The Hematologist told my OB/GYN that when I do get pregnant that she recommends he monitor my levels but send me to the hospital's lab :-)
Going back to the Lupron shot, we were told to do it between 6-9pm. It is going to stay that time from now until egg retrieval so the nurse told us to pick something we can stick with. Jared said we should do 9pm so that 1) I could do it right before bed (yes, I go to bed early) and 2) if he has to work his part time job then he is usually home by then. I thought that was sweet that he wants to do the shots for me when he can! During our last IUI, we did Follistim and he did one shot and told me that he was too afraid he was going to hurt me so he would let me do them from now on :-) Guess he's over that fear, that's what IVF will do for ya! Anyway, so at 9pm last night, Jared drew up the syringe to 10 from the Lupron bottle. He then used an alcohol swab to clean the area on my stomach where he was going to put the shot. Then he slowly put the needle in and administered the medicine. Truthfully, I did get a little uptight about the process but I'm used to doing it myself so I wasn't used to someone else doing it. But he did great and I was so proud of him! The spot did sting just a bit for about 10 minutes after and turned red but nothing too bad at all. Now if I can just keep the side effects to stay away, we are good.
Next appointment will be on Wednesday, March 16 and if all looks good, I will be starting my stimulation meds then!! We are on our way!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHow excting to start the process!
I'm glad all is well with your appts. Good luck with the cycle!!
ReplyDeleteSo happy that the tests are normal that lab should check their equipment before scaring people like that.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on starting stims soon!!!