I was very nervous going into today's appointment because of the USI. I can't remember exactly what it stands for other than Uterine Saline .... Anyway, the process sounded very similar to the HSG test I had done in December 2009 that was seriously the most painful thing I've ever done! So needless to say, I was very nervous and to make matters worse, Jared couldn't go with me because he had to work. Well thankfully, it wasn't that bad. I'm gonna go into detail so I have it all written down so please feel free to skip if it gets a little TMI :-)
The procedure was done in the same room that I have my ultrasounds so I was at least somewhat comfortable since the lights are dim and its usually pretty warm in there. The doctor first put in a speculum and swabbed the cervix for a cervical culture to make sure I don't have any infections. Then he cleaned the area and inserted a catheter which is the same type he will use for our embryo transfer. He then measured my uterus and practiced putting it in place. He said something about 8 1/2 cm. Not sure if that's how far he put in the catheter or what. This was the only moderatley painful part. He mentioned something about touching the top of my uterus so I'm assuming that is what I felt when I had a sharp cramp. Anyway, after that they inserted the ultrasound wand and he slowly filled my uterus with saline. It surprisingly didn't hurt at all. I did have to apologize to the RE because my legs were shaking so bad I hoped I didn't mess him up. :-)
The whole process only took about 3 minutes or so. He told me that my ovaries and uterus looked perfect. He gave them all an A+. Afterward, I got a chance to talk with him about the level of aggresiveness he will be taking with my cycle. I explained to him that while I want this to be safe, I am not wanting to be conservative just because I am young. Since we are paying for this whole thing by ourselves, this is the one and only IVF cylce we will do. We simply cannot afford another one. He was very understanding and said that since he practices in a state that doesn't offer insurance, he fully understands our concern. He said he will obviously not be transferring back 5 embryos (thank goodness) but is looking for 2 perfect embryos. That is the goal he says! Glad he is on the same page as us. I have no concerns at all about transferring two. I figure it is all in God's hands as to how many we end up with and we are never given more than we can handle.
Plus since my appointment wasn't until 9 am, I drove down early and met a friend for breakfast. She used to work with me and I hadn't seen her since she moved a few months ago. It was great to reconnect and helped take my mind off of the appointment.
Next step is to wait until the results of the cervical culture come back which I think will be Monday or so. Then my nurse will call me and let me know that she is ordered my meds. The pharmacy should call shortly after that with my total. Is it bad that I am praying it is under $2,500? Money takes on a whole new meaning with IVF. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Glad everything went well today! For me the HSG was SUPER easy, but the saline sonohysterogram was the worst pain I'd ever been in. It was like the worst cramp of my life for the procedure and then the following hour.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear things are moving along nicely. I'm sure you will get at least two perfect embryos to transfer!
Hooray for perfect ovaries and uterus!!! My sonohysterogram was a breeze too a week ago. And RE said that my uterus is a text book example :) Now, all me and you need is a couple of top notch embies to make it their home. Good luck!!!
ReplyDelete