Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

-Proverbs 3:5-6




Monday, February 7, 2011

Annual Appt. & New OB/GYN

This morning I had my annual exam and met with a new OB/GYN. I liked him a lot, although he seemed a little hesitant about us doing IVF. He didn't say that he thought we shouldn't do it but he wanted to make sure we were aware of the increased risk of multiples. It was more like he was concerned about my safety, which I appreciated.

He told me that everything looked good except that my blood platelets were low. Not seriously low but he does want to recheck them in 4 weeks to make sure they aren't decreasing. I guess it can cause clotting issues when they get low. After I left the office, it dawned on me that my sister had low platelets with both of her pregnancies. The concern here is that if they are too low you cannot get an epidural. And if they get drastically too low then it is dangerous to do a c-section for the risk of bleeding out. So now I wonder what the platelet levels will do if we have twins. I know I am getting ahead of myself here but these are just some things I am thinking about and will bring up to both my RE and the OB/GYN at the next visits. I would rather be safe than sorry.

3 comments:

  1. Came across your blog from Just the two of us to the Four of Us.

    I too had unexplained infertility. Although I had PCOS too. After 4 IUI's, 3 IV's, 3 miscarriages, we are expecting our first baby in less than 4 wks. With my last IVF cycle, my RE decided to put me on Lovenox (a blood clotting drug) even though I did not have any known blog clotting disorders. I feel like that was the miracle drug that kept my pregnancy viable. I was only on it until about 20 wks, but through lots of prayers and faith, our baby boy will be here in 4 wks.

    I wish you the best of luck with your IVF cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with life happens - my RE is treating me "empirically". Basically I'm on meds for a blood clotting disorder that I've never been tested for, meds for possible Natural Killer cells, and high amounts of folic acid. Just in case I have them all or a mutation of one of the issues. It sounds like your doctor is on the right track with you two so I wish you the best of luck and thanks for the comment!
    Go Hawks!

    ReplyDelete